Map & Directions
Join & Support
THE STORY OF CYNTHIA ANN PARKER
In 1835, when Texas was still part of Mexico, a large portion of the Parker family built a log fort near the present town of Groesbeck as frontier defense. But on May 19, 1836, a group of Comanches and their allies attacked this fort, know as Fort Parker.
Among those taken captive were nine- year-old Cynthia Ann Parker and her six year old brother John, the niece and nephew of Isaac Parker.
Twenty-four years elapsed before anyone heard of the fate of Cynthia Ann although there had been rumors of a blue-eyed woman who was the wife of Peta Nocona, a Comanche leader.
Then in 1860, a company of Texas Rangers under the command of Captain Lawrence Sullivan Ross attacked a band of Comanches who were camped by the Pease River.
Two of the captives taken by the Rangers during the ensuing battle were Cynthia Ann and her little girl, Topsannah. The rangers forcibly took Cynthia Ann and her daughter to Camp Cooper so she could be identified.
Word was sent to the settlements that a white woman had been captured. Isaac Parker traveled to identify his niece, and Cynthia Ann confirmed that she was indeed the long-lost Parker girl.
Against Cynthia Ann’s will, Isaac brought her and the little girl to his Birdville home (now the Parker Cabin). Accounts state that in her extreme despair to return to her Comanche family, she would wander off into the woods and slash her breast. She prayed in hopes of being reunited with Peta Nocona and their two sons, Pecos and Quanah Parker.
She stayed only briefly with her Uncle Isaac before being sent to other Parker relatives in East Texas. Sadly, Topsannah died of pneumonia, and Cynthia Ann never got over her longing for Peta Nocona, her sons, and the life that she had grown accustomed to. She lived just four years after being returned to her Anglo relatives, whom she no longer considered her people. She starved herself to death. It is said that she died of a broken heart. Her legacy lived on in her son Quanah Parker, who came to be known as the last great chief of the Comanches.
|Hours: Tue. - Fri. 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. (gates close at 3:30 p.m.)
Sat. and Sun.: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (gates close at 4:30 p.m.)
Log Cabin Village is closed on Mondays
|2100 Log Cabin Village Lane
Fort Worth, TX 76109